Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Radioactive Eggs and Bald Heads

Yesterday was an exciting day. It started with going in for a gastric empting study to measure how fast food is going through my stomach to see if that is contributing to my nausea.

I had to fast for 6 hours which was not a big deal since it was first thing in the morning. Then I had to eat a hard boiled egg that had been somehow infused with radioactive material. This was a little tougher since I was already nauseous. They gave me gloves to handle it and was told to be careful not to get any on the floor or counter. It is kind of scary to be given something to eat that is dangerous to handle.
Then I went into the nuclear medicine room where I laid on a table that had what looked like a scanner above me. The cool thing is they had a computer screen that you could see where the egg was in my stomach (it glowed) and over the 90 minutes I could see it moved through my stomach into my intestines. It was cool and creepy all in one.

I decided on Monday that it was time to shave my head. I did not think I would have a hard time losing my hair this time since I went through it before and I did not really like my short hair, but once it started to fall out it was a different story. It was very hard to see hair on my bed pillow, bathroom floor and on my desk. So yesterday after lunch I went to the barber and got it shaved. It was very cathartic and empowering to take control of the situation. It is a little cold out, but I am just back to wearing my hats - all in all a very busy and exciting day.

No comments: