Monday, April 14, 2008

When the spirit moves you.

Last week was a hard week for me. It was the second week I was back to full time at work and I started a new oral chemo that is experimental. I did not feel too many side effects in the beginning of the week except being tired, but once Thursday came I was achy, tired, the nausea started and basically felt like crap. I think I was asleep by 9pm most nights and slept for 12 hours straight on Saturday/Sunday.

Sunday night my church had a service for people that have been affected by Cancer, whether it is having cancer, being a survivor, or known someone who has lost the battle. I realized I fit into all three categories. There were cards for parishioners to fill out and name love ones who has/had cancer.

I was not sure that I was going to have the strength to stay through the whole service and I started crying before the service even started. I did remember my tissues this week. Luckily I had two great friends that sat right next to me and held my hand when I needed support. I sobbed through most the service and at sometimes uncontrollably, but I have learned that it is ok to cry in front of others, especially at church. They had a laying on of hands for healing and we filled a cross with flowers.

Singing is one of my favorite activities and singing at church has always made me happy and feel closer to god. I think it is totally unfair that almost every church song makes me cry. I try to sing them and often just break down in tears. It almost feels like the one thing I can do is taken away.

It was during the prayers when they spoke the names of everyone on the cards that were submitted when I really fell apart. When I heard my name I was just consumed with peace, sadness and anger all at the same time. How great that people were praying for me, but why should they, why can I not get my miracle? It was when they spoke the names for all who have died that I really lost it. I do not want to be on that list the next time they have this service. I have so many more things I want to do and most importantly more lessons I need to learn before I am ready to be an angel. It is just not fair

The amazing thing is I was so upset during the service, but when I left and went to my sister’s house to celebrate her birthday I felt and incredible sense of peace. That peace has continued overnight and I have not felt sick at all today. Maybe the prayers helped, maybe if I have a positive spirit and get plenty of sleep the pain and emotional turmoil will not get to me. Maybe I will get my miracle, even if it is just a miracle of more time. I am not going to get my hopes up too much, but it feels to be feeling good and not feel like the cancer cloud is looming overhead defining my every moment.

No comments: